Skip to main content

Chuai Heng Restaurant @ Kuala Lumpur

Apologies for the lack or rather the sudden disappearance from this blog. Fred not, I am back here with a brand new post. This time, it's a restaurant that has been in the city centre for quite a long time. I remembered having the dim sum here few years back, and it was alright. Thus, having friends down in KL from overseas, whom were craving for Dim Sum.. first thing that came to my mind was Chuai Heng Restaurant. Reason why I chose this place is that the environment is great and peaceful for a great catch-up and chit chat session. :)

Chuai Heng is, of course the more "high-class" place for Dim Sum, probably comparable to places like Dai Thong or Overseas Restaurant or Oriental Pavillion. It's tucked in Bukit Bintang, pretty close to Prince Court Hospital.. roughly about a minute or two from Prince Court Hospital.

Steamed Peanut
 As usual, in places like these, they will always serve a saucer of steamed peanuts. Of course, is to be noted that there is no such thing as "free-lunch" here, thus these small little saucer costs RM4. 

Steamed Prawn Dumpling (Ha Gao)
 This is a common dish that people would order when it comes to Dim Sum. I don't fancy "Ha Gao" much so I did not try this dish. However, my friends mentioned that this was good. So, to those that love Ha Gao, perhaps you could try and let me know what you think about it. :)

BBQ Pork Bun
 What I really love about this BBQ Pork Bun is that the moment you bite it, that succulent taste of the BBQ pork lingers in your mouth. And that.. my friends, is what you call delicious. All I can say is that Chuai Heng is really generous with their serving because the amount of filling in the bun is way more than any other dim sum places I have tried. Thumbs up!

Pork Porridge/Congee with Three types of Eggs
 Usually, I would opt for the pork porridge with century egg. Unfortunately, here, the only porridge closest to that was this. I did not regret ordering this because of the mixture of three different types of eggs.. century egg..salted egg and normal egg..The porridge was smooth and the taste was great. Seasoning was done well as there wasn't a need to add salt/pepper.

Egg Tarts
 The egg tarts here are really tiny which would just be nice for a dessert. I don't like my dessert being too heavy because it would leave the stomach feeling bloated. Taste wise, the egg tarts were alright.

Mango Pudding
 Hands down, one of the dish of the day. My favourite dessert in dim sum places is always the Mango Pudding. Mango Pudding is a dessert that is so prone to mistakes. What I mean is that, Mango Pudding either taste awesomely good, or they just taste super bad. For Chuai Heng, this is done perfectly well. I would dine in here everyday just to order their Mango Pudding. Even the slices of Mango used were fresh.A definite "must try" dish here.

Steamed Rice Roll with BBQ Pork
 Drenched in soy sauce with its silky, tofu-like rice roll, this has got to be the yummiest dish of the day. It wasn't too salty, nor was it too greasy. It comes with a a small saucer of chili with dried shrimp. My suggestion, have it with the chili because it creates a "kick" in the meal. The chili isn't too spicy and goes really well with this dish. There are other varieties beside having the Rice Roll with BBQ pork.. you could opt for Prawn instead.

Steamed Siew Mai
 I forgotten what you call "Siew Mai" in English..excuse me. :) It's basically a mixture of prawn and pork. The Siew Mai here is just alright, not bad, but not that great. I have tasted better ones.

Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun
 This is a dessert which you will either like it or you would hate it. I personally do not like this dessert because I'm not a big fan of custard, nor am I a big fan of Salted Egg. However, my companion did love this dessert. Thus if you really like the above two ingredients, then why not? Try and do let me know.

Deep Fried Prawn with Salad Sauce
 Great dish. Fried to perfection..not too much batter, just the right amount. Accompanied by the home-made salad sauce just makes it a better dish.

Pan fried Carrot Cake with Chicken Floss
 This dish is popular in Chuai Heng. I really love this dish because of the taste of the carrot cake. The moment you munch a bite, you could taste the strong taste of it, and the chicken floss gives it a little crunch to the "rubbery" texture. If you love carrot cake, this is a must.

Steamed Pork Dumpling in Superior Soup
This "Xiao Long Bao" has a lot of soup in it but in my opinion, it was lacking seasoning and taste. The taste of this dish is really blend, I believe Din Tai Fung did a better job at this. This could be a miss.

Above and all, the dim sum in Chuai Heng is fairly good. But please do take note of your total bil as my bil was mis-calculated. The staff charged a pot of tea for 5pax instead of 4pax and also two plates of steamed peanuts instead of one. Thus, would kindly advice to check the bil as they may have mis-calculated. Total bil including tea + peanut + tax came up to about RM 150.

One of the better dim sum places I have tried so far in Kuala Lumpur.
The next stop for dimsum place would be Oriental Pavillion in Jaya 33. (heard it is quite good)

Chuai Heng Restaurant
231, Jalan Bukit Bintang,
Kuala Lumpur


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steven's Chicken Chop @ Damansara Uptown

Since young, I have been patronizing the same shop whenever I have the "chicken chop" cravings. It's not in a restaurant, nor in a shop lot, but it's in an open food court situated in Damansara Uptown. I remember those days where a plate of a sinful chicken chop would cost RM6.50 but right now, that same plate of chicken chop costs RM12/RM13. Fred not, it is still a satisfying plate of chicken chop. Besides chicken chop, they do sell grilled chicken, lamb, and beef. All I can say is that if you have not try this out, you MUST. The only down side to it is that : - the environment is filled with mosquito. I wouldn't mind (as the food do come quickly), but to those that mind, perhaps you could pack the food back home. But do bear in mind, if you choose to pack it back home, it may be soggy. Directions to the place :- 1. Head to Damansara Uptown (if you have no idea where that is, popular shops such as Village Park Nasi Lemak, Every Sundae, A Pie Thing, Damansar

Ekkamai @ Jalan Batai, Damansara Heights

When Thai food is not done right, it would taste bland; When Thai food is done right, your taste would bend. But thankfully for Ekkamai @ Batai, they did Thai food justice! My first experience in Ekkamai was at the Publika branch and it wasn't a pleasant dining experience as I felt the food lacks the flavours and one of the soup had a bad smell to it (Tom Kha Salmon Belly, to be exact). At this point, I told myself to not walk into the one in Publika anymore, and give the one at Batai a chance. Stumbled upon the branch at Batai, and why not? Did not regret it, food was delightful, ambiance was just perfect for a group dining, or even a romantic couple dining experience. Only down-side is the parking at Batai (a 4 hours catching up with friends, could costs you about RM15 just for the parking). Enough said, food pics! Sharing Platter ✭✭✭✰✰  The sharing platter is a good combination of several starters. Do note that this would just be enough for 2-3 person. The pand