Skip to main content

Jinda Thai @ Melbourne

Finding myself in the streets of Melbourne, yet again coming back with a bloated tummy filled with Thai cuisine. Jinda Thai is a fairly new Thai cuisine restaurant in Melbourne which I remembered it wasn't ready when I was still a student back in Melbourne days. After more than a year leaving Melbourne, I finally went back for a short trip to catch up with some good ol' mates. 

Yes, of course, when you are in Melbourne, nothing much you can do besides eating and enjoying the "four seasons a day" weather. Jinda Thai was clearly spiking through the culinary industry in Melbourne through the word of mouth. So, while I was in Melbourne, I thought to myself "Why not? Melbourne never fails me when it comes to cuisine"..

When I first stumbled upon Jinda Thai with the help of GPS, I was surprised to know that it was tucked in the back alley in North Richmond, right next to the Thai Supermarket which I used to buy food from, on several occasion. My advice is to get the help from your trusted GPS if you are not familiar with the roads in Melbourne. 

Alright.. enough with the whole "walking down memory lane" story.. Ultimately, the food is what matters after all. 

Pad Thai Noodle 
Still one of the good pad thai that I have tasted as compared to the ones in Malaysia. I have yet to find places that serves as good as this. Reason to why I love the way this is being cooked is because of the strong peanut yet sweet aroma you get when it lingers in your mouth.

Thai Chicken Rice
Thai Chicken Rice is similar to our Hainanese Chicken Rice that we get here in several restaurants or hawker stalls in Malaysia. However, what makes it a "Thai" instead of the typical "Hainanese" is the chili sauce itself. I remember having my first Thai Style Chicken Rice back in Bangkok 10 years ago and instantly loved it. Do not really know how to describe the chili sauce but it's jam-packed with flavours. Thus, the Thai Chicken Rice here in Jinda Thai is still not up to my standard of Thai Chic Rice, probably wouldn't order this again.

Pad Ka-Prao
Pad Ka-Prao also known as Stir Fried Meat with Basil and Chili. In this case, I ordered the Pork. Still much better than the ones here in Malaysia, however, I have tried better Pad Ka-Prao in Melbourne itself. Thus, I wouldn't order this again in Jinda Thai.

Thai Pork Noodle Soup (Spicy)
Thai Pork Noodle Soup
HANDS DOWN the Thai Pork Noodle Soup lives up to the standard. The soup and the ingredients of the pork noodle soup captures your senses straight away... senses which includes the fundamental - smell, taste and heart. Three words describes it all. Smell that takes your breath away with the taste of Bangkok and a cheerful heart while slurping away. I was pretty fortunate to have tried this bowl of delicious noodles as the owner had informed us that their pork noodles were only available during lunch time. The bowl of pork noodle soup comes with few pieces of fried beancurd roll, few pieces of Thai fish cakes.. a few pork balls.. sliced pork meat.. and a few other bits and bobs of other ingredients.
Thai Fish Cake
The Thai Fish Cake here is good too with the taste of handmade fish cake accompanied with a saucer of Thai chili sauce top with cucumbers and crushed peanuts. Yums

Thai Coconut Layer Cake with Coconut Ice-Cream
Thai Pandan Layer Cake with Coconut Ice-Cream
Lastly, the desserts. Yes, I'm sure you are looking at the screen thinking.. "wow, looks tempting". It would be so much easier if we could just pull it out from the screen to grab a taste of it..because honestly, how much I wish that my readers could taste what I tasted that day. The texture of its layer cake is similar to our "mille crepe" that some of us are obsessed with, here in Malaysia. However, here in Jinda Thai, it is topped with different flavours including Coconut, Pandan, Yam, Sweet Potato etc. We opted for the Coconut and Pandan flavour.. and boy oh boy.. it was delicious. I must say, the combination of the cake and the coconut ice cream works so well like bread and butter. My tummy was definitely satisfied with their desserts.

Thus, Jinda Thai has topped the notch and lived up to my expectation of Thai cuisine in Melbourne. If you are ever in town, I plead for you to try this restaurant.. it will not let you down.

Total damage to my pocket for this delicious course of meal was AUD70-80.

Jinda Thai
3-7 Ferguson St.
Abbotsford 3067

Opening Hours: 11am-11pm (Monday-Sunday)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steven's Chicken Chop @ Damansara Uptown

Since young, I have been patronizing the same shop whenever I have the "chicken chop" cravings. It's not in a restaurant, nor in a shop lot, but it's in an open food court situated in Damansara Uptown. I remember those days where a plate of a sinful chicken chop would cost RM6.50 but right now, that same plate of chicken chop costs RM12/RM13. Fred not, it is still a satisfying plate of chicken chop. Besides chicken chop, they do sell grilled chicken, lamb, and beef. All I can say is that if you have not try this out, you MUST. The only down side to it is that : - the environment is filled with mosquito. I wouldn't mind (as the food do come quickly), but to those that mind, perhaps you could pack the food back home. But do bear in mind, if you choose to pack it back home, it may be soggy. Directions to the place :- 1. Head to Damansara Uptown (if you have no idea where that is, popular shops such as Village Park Nasi Lemak, Every Sundae, A Pie Thing, Damansar

Ekkamai @ Jalan Batai, Damansara Heights

When Thai food is not done right, it would taste bland; When Thai food is done right, your taste would bend. But thankfully for Ekkamai @ Batai, they did Thai food justice! My first experience in Ekkamai was at the Publika branch and it wasn't a pleasant dining experience as I felt the food lacks the flavours and one of the soup had a bad smell to it (Tom Kha Salmon Belly, to be exact). At this point, I told myself to not walk into the one in Publika anymore, and give the one at Batai a chance. Stumbled upon the branch at Batai, and why not? Did not regret it, food was delightful, ambiance was just perfect for a group dining, or even a romantic couple dining experience. Only down-side is the parking at Batai (a 4 hours catching up with friends, could costs you about RM15 just for the parking). Enough said, food pics! Sharing Platter ✭✭✭✰✰  The sharing platter is a good combination of several starters. Do note that this would just be enough for 2-3 person. The pand

Chuai Heng Restaurant @ Kuala Lumpur

Apologies for the lack or rather the sudden disappearance from this blog. Fred not, I am back here with a brand new post. This time, it's a restaurant that has been in the city centre for quite a long time. I remembered having the dim sum here few years back, and it was alright. Thus, having friends down in KL from overseas, whom were craving for Dim Sum.. first thing that came to my mind was Chuai Heng Restaurant. Reason why I chose this place is that the environment is great and peaceful for a great catch-up and chit chat session. :) Chuai Heng is, of course the more "high-class" place for Dim Sum, probably comparable to places like Dai Thong or Overseas Restaurant or Oriental Pavillion. It's tucked in Bukit Bintang, pretty close to Prince Court Hospital.. roughly about a minute or two from Prince Court Hospital. Steamed Peanut  As usual, in places like these, they will always serve a saucer of steamed peanuts. Of course, is to be noted that there is no suc